5 Stars By Rob on 2012-09-19
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IN SPITE OF WHAT SOME HAVE SAID
I just bought one of these, having read many of the reviews. Here's my reaction with those reviews in mind:
In general, this is an elegant device: very attractive and great-sounding (loud and clear, even when wall-mounted). It comes with a manual that's actually written in English. One caveat: the wall bracket illustration (Fig. 7) is drawn up-side down.
Now a few specifics:
1. To mount the push button using screws instead of the two-sided tape, yes, you will have to drill holes in the plastic. No big deal! The hole positions are clearly defined and the plastic is soft, so there is no danger of cracking. Use a 5/32" drill. And the screw heads ARE the correct size. Just be sure to use the right screws (it comes with two sets of screws).
2. When prying the push button case open, use a screwdriver with a blade large enough to fill the slot. And, since there is a slot at each end, use the one that will be facing down, just in case you accidentally scratch the plastic.
3. The battery compartment and front access panel of the receiver unit open easily and do not require being pried open with a screwdriver.
4. When testing the unit, be aware that there is a recovery time required after each try. You need to wait a few seconds between trys. If you push the button repeatedly at too-short intervals, you will get the impression that the unit is only working some of the time.
5. While I agree that the volume control might have been more easily accessible as one reviewer pointed out, it is not difficult to use. It happens to be slotted, and therefore easily turned with a screwdriver and probably a dime. Also the orientation of the slot gives a very clear indication of how the volume has been set.
6. This is the best-sounding electronic door chime I've ever come across. I left the volume control at the factory setting and can hear it throughout my two-story apartment with music playing. Of course, louder (or softer) sound levels can be set if desired.
7. Distance from transmitter to receiver is about 30' with a few walls in between, but no metal. As an experiment I just moved the receiver to the other end of the living room, for a total of 50', and it worked perfectly.
8. The push button action is smooth and positive with a definite click. It does not require a great deal of pressure. And there is a confirming indicator that illuminates after contact has been made. By the way, I would suggest using a Sony battery (CR2032) from the outset rather than the one supplied.
Having owned other brands, with which I have been extremely dissatisfied, I would highly recommend this little gem.
on 2017-09-10 Very disappointed in Honeywell, Got this to replace a Home Store cheapie that had worked well for 3 years.
Very disappointed in Honeywell, Got this to replace a Home Store cheapie that had worked well for 3 years and they changed their design that was not backward compatible at all with any of the components I already own.
The push button that came with this would not even work more that 5 FEET away from the unit despite being rated for what 300...LOL.
Bought the premium contact transmitter with this as well, At least they worked 15 ft away on the door opening.
Next time I have to add a door open entry notification, I'll buy a wired one as this wireless stuff is very poorly functioning.Honeywell RPWL3045A1003/A Wireless Premium Portable Converter/Extender/Push Button
After about a year of use, base would do weird random tones, flash different lights indicating what door opened, even tho only one connected, lost what tone was set for the door as well and would randomly sound a tone from its memory of available tones.
1 Stars By online shopper on 2015-05-31
Very disappointed in Honeywell- Shame on you Honeywell
Very disappointed in Honeywell- Shame on you Honeywell. They must be getting their supplies from overseas. I installed the batteries, set the chimes, tested it and it worked great. Was very impressed by the style and how easy it was to set up. Nice looking. Drove 1/2 an hour to the house it was going to be installed in. Tested it 1 more time and it hasn't worked since. Tested both batteries, I don't know how something breaks in 1/2 hour.
5 Stars By Mr. Mark H. Bubb on 2015-01-01
For less than 30 dollars this Honeywell wireless doorbell is a good buy. Instructions are bare bones but by reading some of the reviews you can pick up on anything you need to know for using and installing the item. Some complained it was not loud enough at top volume. Not true. Even though the speaker is on the back, the mounting bracket leaves some space between the wall and the chime unit so that at top volume it is easily heard throughout my long ranch style 1 story house. Another complaint was getting the push button apart to install the included button battery. Once again I had no problem there by just using the correct size slot screwdriver to gently pry it open. Recommended buy.
3 Stars By John Reid on 2017-03-13
Possible battery problem or cold weather to ringer.
I am not sure of the level of malice that I can insert in this review because when we (Phila., Pa.) had one of the coldest day of the season my doorbell did't ring. before I tampered I wait a couple of days to see if it was the weather. The light did not light up so I figured it must have been the batteries. I went to the unit inside the house and I was attempting to remove the batteries and the unit did't have the standard ribbon to help remove the batteries. In my zeal, I hit unit to my palm to remove it. I was getting a light prior to this episode. I then inserted the new batteries but there was no light. I may have been the problem but had that,traditional, ribbon been there I would not have palmed the unit. I have been trying to get in touch with Honeywell to find out their warranty timeline. Not the easiest thing to do for me with lack of patience and impaired vision after an eye operation. Hopefully, I can calm down and get someone on the phone tomorrow - 3/14/2917.
2 Stars By Viking Warrior on 2015-12-04
Not what I was hoping for.
I really wanted this to be a great door chime but in my case it just wasnt. The unit itself is fairly attractive in a modern way and was easy to fit into my decor. However, the performance was less than I expected. The chime was reasonably loud but was not clean. What I mean is that you could tell it was a speaker rather than a true chime. When you press the doorbell there was an annoying 1/2 second lag and the resultant chime had that loudspeaker quality to it. A faint crackle and just not a pleasant sound. The worst part though about this unit is the hideously ugly doorbell button. It just looks so cheap, ugly and out of place on my home and I believe most people's homes. I don't know why on earth all doorbell buttons on wireless chimes are so unattractive. There are so many great classy looking doorbells for wired units and I wonder why they can't adapt them to a wireless unit. I ultimately returned this unit because it did not live up to my expectations.
1 Stars By Giga - Bite on 2013-02-17
Misleading Advertising -- ONLY FOR WOOD DOORS!!
According to Honeywell Technical Support: This unit looses 90% - 100% of it's operational abilities when used on or near a metal door or door frame with brand new batteries.. When mounted on a aluminum trim next to a metal screen door this chime does not work when placed 4 feet away... Technical support says it works for 225 feet in the middle of a field with nothing metal within the 225 feet.. I don't know about your house but most houses around me have some metal in them.. This is false and misleading advertising. I do like the other Honeywell products I have bought prior to this but this product is most definitely NOT WORTH YOUR TIME OR MONEY...
5 Stars By After all on 2016-01-09
Excellent Value, Product, Very Happy, I am NOT a paid reviewer
All Stars, hear, I am NOT a paid review (watch out this is more and more the case these days), I have spent money and other from Ace etc,
This unit does the range and allows up to 3 items (like 2 doorbells and a motion detector unit) I went with two doorbells so far, One is included and you can buy another separately either in white or black, I like the fact of the LED validation in both the "Push" door itself (Not a light push, but when you push it the light above the button displays orange, The adjustable volume is nice too, also this can me used in a portable fashion if you like if you have to take care of some one not mobile but a 3rd (or 2nd button for that) as you can program (or use the default) chime for the 3 selections Some one has put together this Video on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmhgkrydOG8.
3 Stars By V. Lotito on 2013-09-18
Not Impressed, take it or leave it.
I gave this three stars because the door bell is okay. I installed the bell at Mom's to replace one that the plastic housing on the remote push button was broken. I chose the Honeywell RCWL300A1006 because of the reviews here at BTA-MALL which reported good quality and loud chimes. I found both the quality and loudness to be questionable -- the previous bell was actually louder and the construction was about the same.
Mom's place is about 1200 sq. ft. and this bell centrally located is barely heard in all corners. The housing on this remote push button broke as well. I had to drive a small screw through the top cover in through the base and into the door jamb in order to keep it together because the plastic tabs broke from pushing on it. So now I need to use a screw driver in order to replace the battery.
I guess there are not too many good choices out there when it comes to bells. Not sure I could really recommend this so if you buy this one, you'll have to go at it at your own risk!
5 Stars By Micki hentkowski on 2017-06-03
so easy to install and I am a 74 year old woman LOL