5 Stars By Blue Artemis on 2016-05-06
Pros & Cons for varied kitchen & diet uses
I purchased this scale mainly to help me track my food intake as part of a basic diet and nutrition plan. The first one I ordered arrived but malfunctioned and was returned. The second one has worked well for over 2 months now. Pros and cons below.
**This is NOT a paid or subsidized review. [...]
* Small profile doesn't take up a lot of counter space.
* Looks nice.
* Easy to clean - I just wipe it down with a Clorox wipe.
* Simple and intuitive to use.
* Allows for measurements in a variety of units (grams, ounces, pounds, etc)
* The "tare" button is the best feature because it lets me zero out the weight of a container like a small plate or bowl, and only weigh the food that I put inside that container or bowl.
* Long battery life. I've used it daily for over a month and it has about 1/3 battery life left.
* Lightweight and easy to move around, store, or travel with.
* If you want to put a dinner plate on the scale, zero out the scale, and then weigh the food that you put on the plate, the rim of the plate will obscure the screen (see image).
* The first scale I received malfunctioned right away, but the second one has been great. I don't know how much of a fluke it was that the first scale malfunctioned.
Overall it's been a great addition to the kitchen. I would buy this scale again.
5 Stars By BTA-MALL Customer on 2017-04-20
Precision accuracy (verified through Calibrated weights)
For the price, a fantastic little food scale.
But the seller didn't list accuracy specifications, only the resolution. So I checked it out and there are pictures included.
*note: all weights (class F) calibrated and traceable to NIST
I Conducted a simple test at 4 test points 1000, 2500, 4000 and 5000 grams and the readings were 1000, 2500, 4001, and 5004 grams respectively
I would put this scales accuracy at +/- 0.1% of reading + 1 gram.
Which for this price is pretty incredible
5 Stars By Phil on 2016-08-30
Works great. Very happy with this scale
Works great. Very happy with this scale. Purchased to use as part of a weight loss plan. I used it to measure out everything from beef jerky and baked chips to chicken and turkey for on the grill. It obviously isn't solely because of this scale but it has certainly helped in me losing 100lbs so far.
5 Stars By TK on 2016-09-23
Verified Consistant Results Using a Carbon Steel 100g OIML Class M1: 5 mg Calibration Weight
I bought this scale a while back because I had a more expensive $45 glass scale from Target that seemed like it was not really consistent with weight results; to the point I purchased a Carbon Steel 100g OIML Class M1: 5 mg Calibration Weight. After testing my glass scale with the certified calibration weight, I quickly learned that the glass scale was definitely not consistent in providing weigh results. After receiving the Ozeri scale, I tested with my calibration weigh and the scale provided consistent results; $45 scale is out, and the $14 scale is in.
4 Stars By RPD66 on 2015-06-13
Weigh this carefully
I was torn on whether to give this 3 or 4 stars. I think given the fact that I use it every single day and that I have come to rely on it, the scale warrants a rating of 4 stars. I, however, have some issues with the scale which I detail below in order of importance to me:
1. Usually I feel this scale is spot on, however, occasionally, the scale with jump back in forth between two numbers that are .03 of an ounce off. It happens with all sorts of food, I'm just not sure what the problem is -- sometimes it just can't make up its mind. This is a little annoying to me as I like to be as precise as possible, but it may not annoy you.
2. As many reviewers have noted, the display is small and thoughtlessly placed relative to the scale platform, so yes, your view is obstructed when using bigger dishes. I honestly thought I would not be vexed by this, but I have to admit it does get rather annoying to have to keep bending down to get a view of the readout.
3. Not sure if this is just my scale or not, but ever since day 1 the plastic coating that goes over the black portion of the scale seems to be bubbling and is very worn at the on/tare button. This is more of a cosmetic issue, but it still is a little bothersome.
Despite these issues I have to give the product 4 stars. It has helped me tremendously while recording my meals, I haven't had to replace the batteries since I purchased it several months ago, it does automatically go off but in an appropriate amount of time (I've never had it go off on me while I was cooking), it has several different units of measurement, and the tare option works great. Overall for the money I spent on this, I am confident I purchased the best scale at this price point.
5 Stars By SarahBurns on 2016-09-22
The only scale you'll need!
For this price, I was just expecting something that worked and did the bare minimum. I decided I couldn't afford to spend a ton of money on a kitchen scale and to just settle with this one. I am so glad I did! It goes above and beyond what I would have expected.
This scale isn't made cheaply. It is sturdy and can handle anything put on it. The buttons and screen seemed overwhelming to me at first, because they were so simple. I didn't know how something could do so much with only two buttons and prepared myself for a complicated mess. But after reading through the thorough instructions, I didn't have one problem. You can change the type of measurement to whatever you want with the push of a button. The BEST feature is the TARE feature. Put a bowl on your scale. Press TARE. It resets the weight so you are ONLY weighing what is in the bowl, not the bowl itself! Then reset it again and add another ingredient. Now you're only weighing that one! It makes things so much easier and there is no mess.
I bought this scale to help with my weight loss. The best way to lose weight is to start cooking for yourself. But how was I supposed to count calories when I was making everything from scratch. It ended up my usual estimations were WAY off. Some things had wayyyy more calories than I thought. Some things had way less! This made dieting so much easier. Keeping track like that and eating better, I lost fifty pounds since the beginning of this year! And it didn't even feel like a challenge, I just had the tools to monitor what was going in my body.
I can't imagine a scale better than this one. What more could you need?
5 Stars By Elizabeth on 2017-05-15
Works perfectly and helps with backpacking weight shaving and body weight shaving
This scale is so easy to use and very sensitive to even the lightest of items which is what you want in a kitchen scale when every gram counts.
I originally bought this to weigh items for my backpacking trips since I want to reduce ounces and grams as much as possible. However, I quickly became obsessed with measuring my food into official serving sizes which has helped me immensely with portion control and my diet attempts.
I love that this scale is easy to zero out. I can place a bowl or plate or whatever I need to hold the foods and simply press the power button once to reset it to zero before adding the foods. With such a low profile and such a light weight I am considering buying another one to keep in my work bag for on-the-go portion control.
5 Stars By Anonomous on 2017-08-08
Precise, Sleek, Small, Simple, Perfect!
Simple, sleek, attractive, Tare function is great (this allows me to subtract the weight of the bowl I'm using, to achieve precise ingredients weight), measures in oz's/lbs/grams/ml's- Select desired mode by pressing "Unit" button (on L). Lightweight, delicate, & precise. Compact- Smaller than a lunch plate/paper plate; stores easily in cabinet.
Comes well-protected / packaged in solid Styrofoam cut-out, w 2 AA batteries. Easy to use... I bought it to measure out some powdered herbal supplement in grams weight, which is important because depending upon how fine or course the powder grind is, the weight/dosage varies (a lot). So it's important for me to "dose" the correct amount in grams weight. Absolutely perfect!
5 Stars By Comotoes on 2012-11-10
Great Little Scale AND the Price is Right
It's hard to tell if those who slammed this product really have bad scales or just expect too much (or have a strong ceiling fan on overhead) but mine works great. Would recommend it in a heartbeat.
4 Stars By Stillworking on 2016-09-02
An inexpensive and useful addition to the kitchen
The Ozeri scale replaced a far more expensive OXO that died after several years. While I can't know how long the Ozeri will last, it is an attractive, light weight and inexpensive scale that stows easily on a shelf. With the touch of a button it switches between between various units of measurement and can also zero out (useful when adding different ingredients) easily. The OXO, at many times the price, had a light function and the more important option of a removable panel that allowed you to read the weight when a large weighing vessel blocked the screen. While I rarely used these features, they were occasionally useful and if the Ozeri had them I would give this scale 5 stars.